Holiday Movie Review pt. 2

hello, guys. gotta tell ya, holiday is almost over, well, it's over already cause 2 days ahead I'll meet up again with my first day of college. say WHAT?!


kinda feeling strange, though, such a long holiday I've had so making me lazy to study again. anyway, trying to be positive. so much plan for the next holiday semester such as crafting etc. I'm also planning on saving my money more for one big holiday plan with my old best friend, keeping it finger-crossed to get real!
by the way, I've already had this harddisk I bought from the internet. I was happy and satisfied with it, Seagate hard drive. and the next couple days my friend came over to my house to exchange some movies. I didn't have a lot that moment, and instantly I copied lots of movies I was interested in from his laptop. well, at least I have now 40 movies and around 15 movies remained to be watched, but some are already watched somewhere either in cinema or on TV though. maybe next holiday so I've already had saving movies. and from the list below, some are new movies currently played in cinema. don't worry, as usual: no spoiler alert! :) enjoy

1. Seven Pounds (2008) ratings: 7.5/10
another amazing movie acted by Will Smith. he again impresses the audience with his amazing acting. maybe some of you knew that the story is about a life-drama, colored tragically. Plot: Will Smith as Ben is a regular career-man, but suddenly it all changes when he gets a car accident and make 7 people get murdered. he then finally has an idea of redeeming his sins by helping 7 needy people he doesn't know at all, with everything he's got, organs, and other ownership. in the beginning of the movie it was kinda boring. additional dramas sometimes are just not necessary. so the first 60 hours I was a little sleepy and decided to continue watching the movie the next day haha. it is that boring! but then, when the movie got back into its destination, it got jazzier. the ending of it is quite touching. recommended though for people who likes drama & sacrifice.

2. 127 Hours (2010) ratings: 7.7/10
the movie is based on true story about a travel-addict-canyoneer. I was really excited to watch this movie by people's recommendation. Plot: Aron is a canyoneer who likes to travel and browse through American desert and canyons himself. he lives alone and it's told that it's been a long time for him separated from his mother and family. in the beginning of the movie, his mother calls him but he doesn't answer it deliberately. his mother expects him to spend a holiday with her, but instead of doing it, Aron chooses to travel to Canyon alone as he desires. it all goes so well and fun. he meets other 2 female canyoneers and shows them a quick fun way to their destination. they enjoy it really well and when they separate, they hope to meet again each other to one party. another lone journey goes well, but when he falls to one deep narrow hole, his right arm is stuck between a stone and a wall. it can't be moved, once he pulls down his arm, the stone also comes down, pressing the arm stronger again. he is trapped in it for several days, not knowing if he could make it or not. and finds himself in a big trouble and forcing himself to find ways to get survived. the story is reaaaally tense! I downloaded it in quite high quality picture :D after watching this, I felt quite sick and so thirsty, though. so tense, and also touching until it leaves you unbelievable fact that this is a superb-real-true-story.

3. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) ratings: 9.3/10
I was also quite excited watching this movie, knowing it is the highest-rated movie on IMDb. I wondered how the story goes. I downloaded it from YouTube and it is a long duration movie. okay, I have to have a quite long time to be spent only to watch this movie. Plot: Tim Robbins as Robin Dufresne is convicted by murdering his own wife after caught his wife has an affair with a man, with 2 decades jailed. all evidences such as guns, times, and place are matched with him and it's enough to prove him to be guilty. he then is sent to Shawshank Prison. Red (Morgan Freeman) and his buddy has a tradition to have a bet which one of the 'new fishes' (new convicts) can't stand by first night in the prison. Red puts his bet on Robin, but then he loses the bet. Robin stands by night and 'survives'. Red is known as a handled smuggler in prison. he's paid with foods but mostly is cigarettes. while Robin is known as a calm and quite person. but then, after Red and Robin get close and become a friend, surprising stories are revealed. and finally they make a promise when one of them is finally freed, they have to wait for one, survive in the outside, and meet each other again. well, after I watched the entire movie, I found the movie was quite fascinating. but I just kept wondering why this movie has the highest ratings in IMDb while I thought that The Green Mile is better than this. well, my friend said that west people rate the story by the art of it, while I couldn't see the whole art on a movie. or maybe, just because it's not sad enough to be called as drama, since I didn't cry of it or not a tear-jerker movie. but yeah, good recommendation cause it has a surprising plot.

4. Ice Age 2: The Meltdown (2006) ratings: 6.8/10
this is the first time again I watch Ice Age sequels since the first movie out. the humor of course comes from Sid. I don't know why the rating is so bad, I think this movie is funny, always. Plot: Manny the Mammoth thinks that he is the last Mammoth on earth. it really hurts his feelings. the background is told as it's that last age of Ice. the ice is coming down and melting everywhere. while it's melting and water gets higher, a couple of fish monsters are starving and looking for preys. and Manny, eventually meets another Mammoth, a female, and Manny is so happy knowing that he's not the last Mammoth. he approaches her, but sadly, Ellie is kinda crazy she thinks herself is a possum. the story is about how they survive the meltdown and search for other places to live. in this movie, a secret of Diego is revealed, he can't swim! well, he's a cat, though. but I hated Ellie in the first place because she's so annoying and stupid to consider herself as a possum, just because her 'brother' Ed and Crash are possums. haha crazy mammoth..

5. Ice Age 3: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs (2009) ratings: 7.00/10
I watched Ice Age 4 first before this one. I watched it on TV and forgot that there's the 3rd movie of it named Dawn Of The Dinosaurs. this movie wasn't played on Fox Movies Premium so after I figured it out, I downloaded it myself. Plot: Sid the Sloth decides not to join the herd anymore, leaving Diego and Manny. Diego also thinks to leave. they both think that Manny is now having his own family, with Ellie, Crash, Eddie, and their little Peaches coming to birth. when Sid walks and arrives in outta nowhere, he finds 3 giant eggs. he decides to grow them himself. and when the eggs crack, baby Tyrannosauruses come out of it. let's just say that Sid always makes trouble and in this case, because of the eggs. of course, their real mom looks for the babies, and when she finds them, she takes them 'home' with Sid, to an underground. Dinosaurs live below the Ice! Manny, Diego, Ellie and the others follow Sid to underground, but find themselves in dangers. but with Buck's help who lives there, they try to survive and escape from a giant scary Dinosaur called Rudi, which Buck always hunts for. as always, the plot is amazing, I never got bored or sleepy during this movie. over all, two thumbs up and forget about the ratings!

6. Ice Age 4: Continental Drift (2012) ratings: 6.6/10
another sequel of Ice Age 4! and I think this is the best movie from the entire sequels. more twist, more comedies, more swag, and more romance hehe. Plot: after the world's ice is melting down, it's time for continental cleavage. the continental is separating and it adds more trouble for this amazing herd. Peaches is grown up and adores a hot teen Mammoth named Ethan. Peaches has a molehog friend named Louis. but Manny as the father, bans her to hang out with the teenagers, a representation of over-possessive. they have a fight, but then they're separated by the cleavage. they make a promise to meet up at The Bridge. while Manny has a 'trip' with Diego, Sid, and Sid's granny. on their way back home, well outta nowhere, they meet a bunch of pirates with their big ice ships. the twist is sooo fine. and lots of cute things also shown! such as pirates member a female sabor named Shira, and unbelievably Diego seems to fall for her. so cute! anyway, Ice Age is always recommended to watch!

7. Wall-E (2008) ratings: 8.5/10
I really searched for drama tear jerker movies. and when I browsed them, I found this movie tucked on the list. what? that's what I was thinking. well, I think I've watched this movie once but I didn't remember the plot. so instead of imagining it and trying to remember the scenes, I decided to download it and enjoy the movie. Plot: Wall-E is just a small waste-collecting robot who lives on earth. earth is a really horrific place there. earth is really toxic, full of waste, mostly is metal waste that makes it poisoned. he seems live there alone, with a little cockroach. he just collects, presses, arranges, and heaps the trashes everyday. he has his own home, too. once, he finds something strange. a bud of tree, it's fresh, and wall-e keeps it at home. but it all changes when a hi-tech robot, Eve, sent to earth and it seems looking for something, but she never finds it. wall-e seems to liker her, and when they meet, wall-e shows her his home and the plant. once it's discovered the plant is taken by Eve and sent back to her plane to a strange big ship filled with people. they live there once they can't live on earth anymore. wall-e finds his own adventure there and discovers an unhealthy life style of people these days which makes them over-weight. his adventure with Eve only makes him happier. once I saw the ratings on IMDb, I was kinda shocked to figure out that this movie has a good rating. I wondered why, and then after watching the whole movie, I found it was worth it :') it's very suitable for child, and the story just nerve-wracking and 'creepy' :'''') moral value is super high standard! love it!

and now, it's time for new movies I watched in cinema..
8. Upside Down (2012) ratings: 6.3/10
I watched this movie because of my friend's recommendation. well, he said it'll be cool with all its impossibilities, like 2 different planets are placed side-by-side with its own gravity and making it looks like upside-down place. the fact is, I didn't watch it in the cinema cause you know, got no time LOL so I downloaded it instead during holiday. Plot: Adam is a man who lives in a poor planet called Down Below, while Eden lives on a rich planet named Up Top. the residents of planets are banned to have other personal communication each other, except for works. these 2 planets are connected with a connective building named Transworld. when they both were young, they meet each other accidentally on the top of their own planet's peak. they fall in love and have a romantic relationship when they were teenager, and frequently meet each other on that place too. but once they got caught, Eden was tighten with a rope held by Adam, Eden fell off and made a bad injury on the head. she's having amnesia. when Adam's grown up, he tries to find Eden again. when he finally meets her in Transworld by applying a job, he realizes she doesn't remember anything about him. so he does anything to raise her lost memories with him again. and even though it means he stakes his own life. hmmm.. okay the whole concept of the story is cool! really! but the romantic plot isn't really good though. no wonder it's not high-rated for romantic drama. it's just lack of "erggh" not so sad, romantic, or else. also, there's no clear antagonist, so it makes it less sharp. the movie is even better if the story has a pure-fantasy genre instead of romance.

and the last is..
9. The Conjuring (2013) ratings: 7.8/10
no comments. TRUE JUMPSCARE! hahaha. first thought about this movie is horrifying moments, and of course the jumpscare, plus the annoying music and sound fx. PLUS! it is based on true story about The Legend Warren's own case. The Conjuring is based on the scariest case The Warrens ever experienced. Plot: The Perron family moves into an old house due to lack conditions (I guess). they have 5 daughters and 1 dog. they bought the house from Bank's auction with a low price. kinda suspicious huh? well, nothing is happening, until the first night after their dog, Shady, found dead. and clocks around the house all stopped on 3:07. not long time needed, they start to smell a disgust smell, and see some creepy and suspicious things. when Carolyn, the mother, start feeling weird and scared, they call Lorraine, a sidekick, and Ed, a demonologist, Warren, asking for help to investigate their house. .... okay I'm telling just that! the rest.. is you're going to discover it yourself hehe. but after watching the entire movie, I didn't feel quite satisfied or scared enough. I mean, it was nerve-wrecking, but not as bad as Insidious! same director though, salute! still, Insidious has more jumpscares than this.

okay.........................................................................


that's all of my movie reviews. actually I'm not a movie-addict, or book-addict. so that, I don't have a lot collections from either movies or books so I don't know what to recommend. I prefer to sketch or draw a whole day, or maybe writing a blog, instead of watching movies, cause it's exhausting, believe it or not! stay tuned on kartikask.blogspot.com for more movie reviews coming up. but I think another movie review post coming up next New-Year-Holiday since college is coming up and there's no way I've got time to have a movie-marathon. hope some luck for my college activities ;)


(ratings source and pictures: www.imdb.com, google)

Comments

Popular Posts